Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Sewing Begins Here


I learn about American Girl Dolls


First Sewing Project


It all began with this girl's skating dress that I made for an 8 year old this winter. She also wanted a matching outfit for her American Girl doll. And that is when I learned about the fascinating world of American Girl dolls.

I could not find a girl's pattern I liked so I combined a dress bodice with a very short full circle skirt. The bodice is fully lined. The sleeves have coordinating semi-transparent fabric and you can see the cap sleeves peeking through. The satin skirt is sewed to the bodice, making it a one piece outfit. The skirt has an overlay of sparkling blue sheer fabric, and underneath -although you can't see it- there is a full slip with 2 gathered layers of tulle to make it twirl!

Then I purchased a doll skating pattern at Joann Fabric's, borrowed a doll and set to work. I was hooked! Fun, fun and more fun. It turned out super cute.






My husband noticed how much I enjoyed the project. One day USPS came to the door with a package. Yippie! He actually bought me my very own doll, Kit!  I love you Dick Jewell! Maybe the happiest present ever! And I have been sewing doll clothes ever since.



Back of girl's skating dress, with zipper and sash


2 comments:

  1. Oh my! How cute that doll’s dress is. It is really adorable. How long did it takes for you to make such dress?
    ShopAtOliviasDollCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comment Jelly. The girls dress and the doll dress took several days of sewing. I combined several different patterns to make the girl's skating dress and it got a bit complicated!

      Delete

Comments are like finding that prize in the cracker jacks box!