Friday, September 20, 2013

I Made a Liberty Jane Dress Form!

A New Dress Form to Fit 18" Dolls

Here is my version of Liberty Jane's dress form pattern. I made it to display my doll dresses because I only have one American Girl doll. I've been hinting around but Kit may have to be an only child.

The fabric is silver silk Dupioni and I added a permanent skirt. I gathered the skirt, basted it on the form and then hot-glued it.

I used a heavy ceramic pillar candlestick for the base. It took me a while to find a suitable one - I tried Walmart, Salvation Army thrift store, the Dollar Store, but finally found this at a discount store for $5.00. I thought it would be way easier to find a candlestick!

There is a thick transparent glass bead glued to the top to make it look official. I bought a bag of aquarium glass at the dollar store, and it worked! Again, glued on tight.

I read reviews of this dress form and some folks seemed to have problems with it being too limp. When I made this I wanted strong seams so I interlined the silk with muslin and sewed twice. Then I really packed it with fiber fill, and I mean a lot! I could have stuffed a couch before I was done - practically a whole bag. But it was well worth it as you can see, very sturdy.

Doll Clothes slip on and off easily and fit perfectly.

Happy Sewing,

1 comment:

  1. I need one of these, but in a bigger size for kids' clothes. Great job!!! Thanks for linking to the Dolls' Clothes link party. Feel free to add as many links as you'd like. See you over at Amy's Google+ group.


Comments are like finding that prize in the cracker jacks box!